Cost estimation in construction using 5D BIM modeling
The BIM model that contains objects and assemblies to add cost dimension to it is called 5D BIM. The cost data is incorporated within the BIM model objects themselves or it is linked to estimating software tools. Thus 5D BIM modeling helps create a relationship between elements and include the properties and specification of each element and object. So, we can extract comprehensive and accurate information from the model used for costing.
A collaborative effort of people is required to get the maximum effect from the models. So, the main aim of 5D BIM is to enhance collaboration on projects. It also facilitates the management of the project overall. But, the designers have to generate appropriate 3D information and the construction team should check for clashes to become the 5D model effective. As 5D software is able to check clash detection, it can encourage a collaborative atmosphere throughout the project. BIM, through the use of a centralized model, enables automatic updating of the design changes and coordination among the project team.
Some benefits of 5D BIM cost modeling:
- 5D BIM Modeling can increase the visualization of projects such as construction details.
- It helps the people to work together to make the models effective and thus enhance the collaboration on projects.
- 5D BIM improves the quality level of the finished projects because the users maintain the quality of data in BIM models.
- As the costing of design options can be done during early design stage with the help of 3D and so 5D BIM modeling makes project conceptualization easier.
- Using 5D software, design details can be pointed out with more clarity and it facilitates the analysis capability of the model.
- 5D ensures more take-offers during the stage of budget estimate.
- Its efficiency to generate quantities for cost planning is higher than the traditional software and manual take off during the detailed cost plan stage.
- As it helps identify potential risks at earlier stage, team can improve clash detection in design stage itself than traditional approaches can.
- It increases ability to resolve RFI’s in real time.
- As 5D BIM is able to model project options before and during construction, it improves estimating. reference bimforum know more then contact us.