BIM Building information modeling abbreviated as BIM, is an evolved process that helps creation and management of all the information – ‘physical and functional’ pertaining to the design,construction and management of a building.
BIM ( Building Information Modeling ) is being increasingly used for building and construction projects due to the high business value it offers. It has garnered huge popularity and acceptance across the AEC industry and is used for management of several large scale construction projects across the world. The acceptance of BIM in building and construction projects was not smooth and easy; there were lot of apprehensions across the industry. However, with proven benefits, BIM managed to gain acceptance.
Here we elaborate why…
- Visual access to building information: Building Information Modeling is actually a 3D model loaded with all the information like quantity take offs, MEP design details, cost details, project schedules and many more. All this information is available in a visual format. For example – as schedule progresses, it is also possible to view the simultaneously accrued costs.
- Helps schedule the construction process: The information about the construction schedules is fed into BIM and it can be visualized as a process. As the schedules i.e. the construction process progresses, the use of materials, the accrued costs, the productivity of labor etc all can be evaluated and hence projects can be planned in a better manner.
- Enables easy conflict resolutions: Any kind of conflicts in the design can be easily detected in a BIM environment. This is because of the effective visualization. If the MEP design conflicts with the structural design, then this conflict can be easily viewed in BI model, when the MEP and structural information is fed into it. On detection, these clashes can be immediately addressed and mitigated.
- Helps manage the involved costs: Building Information Modeling allows effective and near to accurate cost estimation at every stage of construction process. Besides all the conflicts are mitigated early on and hence, any possibility of rework or unnecessary expenditures is negated. Therefore, BIM ensures that the capital is used in the most prudent and efficient manner.
- Supports lean construction: Building Information Modeling allows continuous and concurrent improvements across all the dimensions of a built environment and a construction process, in terms of design, construction, energy efficiency, maintenance and recycling. Hence utilizing the minimum resources, minimum materials, minimum labor and by adopting the best planning and management practices highest value is generated.
- Allows improved coordination and better management: All the people involved in a construction project i.e. architect, builder, construction manager, MEP engineer, Structural engineer, etc; remain updated about even the smallest change in the building design through the BI model. This allows better coordination between teams and hence better management.
- Supports detailed documentation across the buildings lifecycle: Building Information Modeling doubles up as detailed documentation for a building and construction project. As mentioned in the previous point, the ‘I’ in BIM is very important. The model can store all information right down to the scratch.
- BIM can be leveraged for sustainability Using BIM as an integral part of the design process, the aspect of energy efficiency, waste management and water management and hence sustainability can be efficiently integrated into a building design.
- Repair, renovation and refurbishment becomes easy: BIM is the most effective tool for retrofit and renovation projects. This is because of the ‘I’ in BIM. The model has all the information about the construction project, any renovation and repair work can be planned surrounding this information.
- Enables effective facility management: When integrated with a computer aided maintenance management system, BIM allows effective management of a facility. After the building is built and occupied, there can still be a lot of conflicts due to the changing spatial requirements. These can be efficiently handled by using Building Information Modeling as an operations and maintenance tool.
Phoenix Engineering Outsourcing company offers a comprehensive range of expert BIM services that can be leveraged to ensure utmost efficiency in a construction project. The team of professional modelers and BIM experts work on projects of varying complexities, always extending highly qualitative and timely services to clients.