BIM Consulting Australia – An Industry Overview
Everybody says that BIM promised significant cost saving delivery. But still people are not clear about it. We still doubt on many things like how these savings will eventuate and who gets these cost savings and who gets the advantages in the future etc. But on a company or project-by-project basis, it is clearly evident that a shift to 3D process and BIM consulting Australia benefits construction industry significantly. In fact, many firms already reported that this technology ensure cost savings.
The construction industries in Australia reports that designers can save 30 percent of man hours by using 3D over 2-dimensional process. 4D programmers and 5D quantity surveyors also report that use of BIM enables to reduce the time taken for producing estimated and developing real time re-visioning from weeks to days. It also improves integrity and certainty of the model data.
Mechanical contractors report that BIM can reduce labor cost up to 30 percent with the help of reliable model data. Mechanical contractors are responsible for the integrated supply-chain workflows and prefabrication techniques.
Decisions taken in the early stage of construction can influence time and costs significantly. However, different professionals should be engaged at different phases of the process for various types of projects. For a commercial scale building project, 17 percent of the construction cost is for the indirect cost of preliminary drawings, head-office overhead expenses and margins. Remaining 83 percent is relegated to subcontract prices. So, those, who have the most to gain in a building project is subcontractors. This amount is used for efficient virtual design and construction process. In short, the margins of a subcontract may be as much seven times that of a head contractor.
But the situation is just opposite in a civil project such as a residential land subdivision. In Australia the subcontractors handle only 17% of the total cost. The advantage lies largely with the head contractor.
The resource sector like a gas pipeline project has higher relationship between direct and indirect costs than any other construction type. The indirect cost of a head contract can be nearly 45 percent of the project. Moreover the plant is owned and labor is employed by the head contractor and it will construct nearly 83% of the remaining 55 percent of the direct costs. A pipe line project is made more efficient after an engineering procurement only when the head contractor stand to gain in terms of profitability on delivery.
In short, Equal engagement of both the head contractor and subcontractor in providing advice on the construction of a plant is required to determine the savings.
To deliver greater certainty in the model information, owners and contractors should work with business. It helps reduce risks in a project and enhances the quality, cost and time for the project. The nature of the contract and its timing also has a significant role. Before entering into a construction contract, the owner gets all savings that result from lean and design. Once the head contract and different subcontracts are finalized, the terms of those contracts will determine who will own time and cost efficiency. The single point of truth for the entire project team is the designer’s parametric modeling at the outset. When the documentation and reliability of the model data is improved through each stage of revision, the resulting building design and construction ensure subcontractor costs are more predictable. It also makes the negotiations more transparent. The variations and extension of time are also reduced. reference bim forum know more then contact us.